Saturday 15 November 2014

Review: Melt Cosmetics Dark Room

I finally have a Melt lipstick!!





I have had my eye on this brand since it came about, so I can't believe it's taken me this long to get one of their lipsticks. I have been following the co-owner, Lora, on Instagram for a while now so I've avidly followed the company's progress. They're a brand who makes a lot of really interesting shades you might not find anywhere else. I am very keen on their Blow and DGAF shades, so we'll see how long I can continue resisting buying them.

Dark Room is a limited edition shade, which was released to celebrate Lora's wedding. I believe it was named after where she first met her husband. I bought it from the Melt website for $19, plus $10 shipping (ouch). I checked my bank statement, and after the $29 total was converted into GBP I spent roughly £18. That is a lot for a lipstick, but I'm willing to pay for products that are limited, and unlike anything I already own.

My lipstick arrived with a couple of free stickers and a little mirror, which you can see in the above photos. I hadn't expected these, but they were a cool surprise!

When I first applied it I was surprised by its initial lack of opacity because I had been under the impression their lipsticks were very opaque straight away. I think that was just because the lipstick was new and the top layer just needed to be removed. Since then it has applied fine.

 For those who avoid matte lipsticks because they worry about it making their lips dry and flakey, you really don't have to worry about that because this lipstick is very creamy for a matte.

I find the lipstick has a scent to it that I can't quite put my finger on. It reminds me a lot of my L'Oreal lipstick (I only own one so I can't speak for them in general), so if you want to get an idea of how these smell then just go have a sniff of those. I personally am not too keen on the scent, but it's not the end of the world, and I'm sure there are people who like it.

The colour itself becomes darker as you apply more, but overal is a berry pink shade, almost like a darker and more matte MAC Rebel. I LOVE the colour, and that's why I immediately bought the lipstick when it was released. I think the colour is beautiful, and very me. I can see myself wearing this a lot.

I don't think I have much else to say, overal I really do like the lipstick, and have no regrets about buying it. I can see myself buying more in the future though, but I'll definitely buy more than one at a time to make the shipping worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment