Saturday 17 November 2012

MAC Haul


As you can see, I got three lipsticks and two lipliners (how on Earth do you photograph lip liners, I just can't figure it out, they're so long so you have to be far away, but then the photo is so empty because they're thin! Plus they roll around).


I love MAC lipsticks, they smell so nice, it's a very sweet vanilla smell, but it doesn't taste funny to have it on your mouth. They cost £14, which IS expensive, but I don't mind. When there is a colour I want nothing else will do! The lip liners are £11.50, which again is expensive, but I was actually so impressed by how well they apply, so creamy and precise!

Just a bit of advice based on how I decide what I want to buy - I research everything as much as possible. The best method I find is either searching the lipstick name on temptalia.com (Christine has very colour accurate swatches of a lot of different products from many brands) or searching mac and the name of the lipstick on Google images because more often than not you will find photos of people wearing them. Sometimes I try YouTube, but that's often far less successful and if you do find a video where someone is wearing the lipstick their camera quality isn't high enough for you to get a realistic idea of the colour.

I have no choice but to do this research and take a bit of a risk because unless I catch a flight somewhere I cannot physically see MAC products and buy them in person. Unlucky me!

Anyway, on to what I bought...

Shanghai Spice, Rebel, Cyber
   
 Look how pretty they are! I know something like Rebel and Cyber might be a little *too brave* for some people, but I will happily wear pretty much any makeup out, so I could never regret buying such bold colours.

Before I post pictures of me wearing them, bear in mind I took my lip rings out so that they weren't distracting or anything, so ignore the little holes in my face!
  
Firstly Shanghai Spice is a Cremesheen, so it applies a little sheer, and is very moisturising. It's one of those colours that people like to describe as 'your lips but better'. It can look a little orange, but once applied it doesn't look that way at all. It's a very good everyday colour, and in my opinion so much better than a nude. I do not wear nudes because they make me look like a corpse, I have to have either a pink, brown or orange tone before I can go anywhere near a nude lipstick!

 
The next lipstick is Rebel (Satin finish), which is an extremely popular colour that I have heard so many good things about. There is a lot of debate over this colour it seems, as I've heard it described as purple, which I don't agree with at all. In swatches online and in person it looks like a very deep pink to me. I wouldn't call it purple at all! It's a very very nice berry colour, and I can see myself wearing this a lot, especially in the Winter, as it seems popular to do. It's a shame the picture didn't come out so well - that's something I seem not so good at, but hopefully you can get a good idea of the colour. I wanted to show the colour as accurately as possible so I didn't wear a lip liner, but in reality I would definitely apply a dark pink liner first to prevent the feathering that you can see.

  
The last lipstick is Cyber (Satin finish), which is a very dark almost black purple. I would have preferred Smoked Purple, but I couldn't get my hands on it - I've heard that it's part of their Pro line, but I'm not particularly clued up on how to buy Pro products. That's not to say I'm unhappy with Cyber though! I'd considered buying it for a long time, and after finally discovering somewhere to buy MAC online that actually delivered to my address I decided to go for it. It applies nicely and evenly, but unfortunately it doesn't look even in the photo. I have a serious issue with self-portraiture!


The lip liners I bought are Dervish and Nightmoth



Dervish is the pinky brown shade, and I really enjoy it. I've tried it under Shanghai Spice and they worked really well together. I think it's a good way for me to be able to warm up a nude colour to the point where I can wear it without looking deceased. Which is always good news. It is quite subtle though, I almost couldn't tell whether it had transferred from the pencil onto my lips, but that might have been down to my lighting more than anything else.

Nightmoth is a truly glorious deep deep red that I intend to wear with my beloved Prince Noir lipstick by MAC. I also intend to wear it with Rebel and Cyber. In fact I decided to give Nightmoth and Rebel a go

 
I am SO impressed with Nightmoth. I have hideously wonky lips and I was easily able to create an even lip shape using it. It applies so well, it's soft so it doesn't pull, it's not drying and I found it really easy to use, despite usually being terrible at lining my lips. I cannot possibly recommend it more.

I think that's all I have to say. Lucky I didn't buy more or I could have gone on for so much longer. I might do a video of my MAC lipstick collection since it really isn't that big, so it doesn't seem such an intimidating task.

I hope you liked! And also I'm definitely going to do this new way of photographing products actually next to things because for some reason, the whole attempt at professional looking photos with a blank white background actually looked pretty rubbish.

Thanks for reading (if you did)!  

No comments:

Post a Comment