Sunday, 29 September 2013

Tutorial: Halloween! Day of the Dead (Sugar Skull)


This is my first Halloween tutorial of the year! I am planning to do another, but I just can never predict when I'll get the chance to film, so hopefully I'll be able to do my second one.
I've done this before in the past, but it was quite different, and about two years ago now! Here are some inspiration pictures:



 Might come to regret posting those photos since their make up is so much better than mine, haha.

Anyway, I've noticed that sugar skulls are becoming increasingly popular for Halloween, and also for photoshoots, so I thought I'd show a tutorial on how you could go about doing it. It takes a lot of time, patience, and a very steady hand to be able to achieve all the detail. I find the more detail the better, in all honesty, otherwise it looks too empty. It's supposed to be decorative, and actually really quite colourful in some cases. I especially love the use of gold in the second inspiration picture.

Here are a couple more pictures of my makeup:



As someone who cannot draw or paint in the slightest, I feel like if I can do something like this then anyone can! So hopefully by watching the tutorial people might realise it's not as hard as they might think.

This tutorial was recorded at a time when I was unable to talk about the products I was using. Since I can talk about that now, I'm adding in that information. This is from memory so I may not be able to list everything, but I will do my best!

Products
Ben Nye Cream Foundation - White
Maybelline Gel Liner - Black
Urban Decay eyeshadow - Blackout
MAC Pigment - Basic Red
MAC Fix+
Collection Loose Pigment - Pixi 

 

2 comments:

  1. This looks awesome! I'd love to do this for Halloween but I've found over the years that eye make up really hurts my eyes and it can leave me feeling blind from pain. :(

    I might try and give this a go though this year, it looks really pretty. :) Great job hun! ^_^

    http://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like we're on the same wavelength. I've been seriously contemplating a Day of the Dead costume this year. Thanks for the tutorial! You just made my decision that much easier. =)

    ReplyDelete